A CHILD of divorced parents is entitled to receive an advance on maintenance payments from a foreign government in the European Union if one separated parent lives in its country, the European Supreme court has ruled. The court said that "the fact that a person is living in another Member State cannot act as a barrier to the grant of a family benefit."

The case involved Anna Humer, the child of Austrian nationals, who moved with her mother to France after her parents' divorce. The father, who remained in Austria, ...

Full access to this article can be arranged with permission from the client that first ordered it. Please contact us to request access. Entries are uploaded to our archive at least one year after being published by a client – free access is restricted to International News Services journalists for background research only. The article date indicates when copy was filed to a client, not when posted to this archive. Upon client requests, International News Services will remove such articles from the archive or not upload them in the first place. They are included to demonstrate the breadth of topics undertaken by the agency and also to help promote clients’ coverage.